By Deborah Poole
Created from 24 newly commissioned chapters, this defining reference quantity on Latin the US introduces English-language readers to the debates, traditions, and sensibilities that experience formed the research of this different quarter.
- Contributors comprise the most favourite figures in Latin American and Latin Americanist anthropology
- Offers formerly unpublished paintings from Latin the USA students that has been translated into English explicitly for this quantity
- Includes overviews of nationwide anthropologies in Mexico, Cuba, Peru, Argentina, Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia, and Brazil, and is additionally topically fascinated with new study
- Draws on unique ethnographic and archival examine
- Highlights nationwide and nearby debates
- Provides a vibrant experience of ways anthropologists usually mix highbrow and political paintings to deal with the urgent social and cultural problems with Latin the United States
Read or Download A Companion to Latin American Anthropology PDF
Similar central america books
Every year within the Highland Guatemala city of Santiago Momostenango, Maya spiritual societies, dance groups, and cofrad? as practice the yearly cycle of rituals and fairs prescribed by way of Costumbre (syncretized Maya Christian religion), which serves to resume the cosmic order. during this richly certain ethnography, Garrett cook dinner explores how those gala's of Jesucristo and the saints derive from and reenact 3 significant historical Maya construction myths, therefore revealing styles of continuity among modern expressive tradition and the myths, rituals, and iconography of the vintage and Postclassic Maya.
Booklet via Black, George, Chinchilla, Norma S. , Jamail, Milton
This booklet is predicated on one distinct component to our a lot greater experience consultant to the Yucatan. experience courses enable you adventure the locations you stopover at extra without delay, freshly, intensely than you'll in a different way – occasionally top performed strolling, in a canoe, or via cultural adventures like paintings classes, cooking sessions, studying the language, assembly the folk, becoming a member of within the gala's and celebrations.
- The Invaded: How Latin Americans and Their Allies Fought and Ended U.S. Occupations
- Decentralization and Subnational Politics in Latin America
- The Women of Colonial Latin America (New Approaches to the Americas)
- Migrant Daughter: Coming of Age as a Mexican American Woman
- The misfortunes of Alonso Ramírez : the true adventures of a Spanish American with seventeenth-century pirates
- Global Coloniality of Power in Guatemala: Racism, Genocide, Citizenship
Additional resources for A Companion to Latin American Anthropology
In S. Visacovsky and R. Guber (eds), Historias y estilos de trabajo de campo en Argentina (pp. 153–202). Buenos Aires: Editorial Antropofagia. indd 29 1/25/2008 12:04:59 PM 30 CLAUDIA BRIONES AND ROSANA GUBER Lazzari, A. (2004) Antropología en el estado. El Instituto Etnico Nacional (1946–1955). In F. Neiburg and M. Plotkin (eds), Intelectuales y expertos. La constitución del conocimiento social en la Argentina (pp. 203–230). Buenos Aires: Editorial Paidós. Lenton, D. (1992) Relaciones interétnicas.
Runa (Universidad de Buenos Aires, Facultad de Filosofía y Letras) 7(1):5–28. Bórmida, M. (1961) Ciencias antropológicas y humanismo. Revista de la Universidad de Buenos Aires 6(3):470– 490. indd 28 1/25/2008 12:04:59 PM ARGENTINA: CONTAGIOUS MARGINALITIES 29 Bórmida, M. (1969–70) Mito y cultura. Bases para una ciencia de la conciencia mítica y una etnología tautegórica. Runa (Universidad de Buenos Aires, Facultad de Filosofía y Letras) 12. Briones, C. ” Una deconstrucción antropológica de la diferencia.
Social Anthropology as a place of dissidence The basis of “social anthropology” in Buenos Aires and La Plata, Rosario and other university centers revolved, for a long time, around the theoretical-ideological mix that prevailed in the 1960–1970s. For some anthropologists and sociologists, “social anthropology” referred to a combination of ethnography concerned with social change and intellectual commitment to the fate of social subjects. indd 20 1/25/2008 12:04:59 PM ARGENTINA: CONTAGIOUS MARGINALITIES 21 at times in line, at others in marked disagreement with British anthropology.